Friday, March 19, 2010

Flourless Carrot Cake (Gajar Ka Halwa)

I've had this flourless, no bake carrot cake before, in Nepalese restaurants, but never knew how to make it. Luckily, Donna (of Dine with Donna) asked a restaurant owner for the recipe. It turns out the cake is really easy to make. Basically, shredded carrots are cooked in a dry pan over medium heat until all the moisture evaporates -- then, milk, butter, and sugar are added in turn, and cooked until the liquid reduces -- and finally, cinnamon, coconut powder, and ground cardamom are stirred into the carrot mixture.

While the resulting cake is delicious, the recipe is worth making for the smell of freshly ground cardamom, alone.

Dine with Donna featured the cake more than a month ago, but it took me a while to make it because I didn't have the coconut powder called for in the recipe. I finally just decided to use coconut flour, which worked just fine (and maybe is the same thing?). You can find coconut flour at health food stores.

Recipe here.

12 comments:

Shaheen said...

Oh Beatrice,
You've brought back some memories. My mother makes the most delicious Gajjar ka halwa. So soft and delcious. Oh I wish I could have a taste right now.

sweetlife said...

what a beautiful cake..I love the color..

sweetlife

amy said...

OHHMY.
i need to eat this now.

it looks delicious!! (blog bookmarked!:D)

amy said...

oh wait. milk, butterr. (im lactose-intolerant)

i will make a version then send you the link.
this is my weeks challenge :P

Beatrice said...

Hi, Amy. I bet you could make a really good version of this without milk or butter. I'd be curious to hear what you come up with.

B

Stella said...

Ooh, this looks wonderful-delicious and healthful. That's right up my alley!

Monica said...

This looks sooo good. One of my favorite indian desserts. I would also like to try this w/o butter or milk. Perhaps with coconut milk? Thanks for this. Yum.

Beatrice said...

Hi, Monica. I think coconut milk (or maybe coconut milk plus coconut oil?) would definitely be worth trying.

Dine With Donna said...

Bea; For those wondering about the coconut powder, it is a finely cut coconot, coulld I say almost pulverized. I am sure coconut flour is probably another name for coconut powder. I liked the suggestion of substituting coconut milk. I will try that the next time. Your comment postings provided some good considerations for change.

Alicia Foodycat said...

I really like Indian sweets - toothachingly sweet but so good! And this one is carrot, so it counts as a vegetable, right ;)

Veggie Belly said...

i love carrot halwa! my favorite restaurant in india makes amazing carrot halwa with edible silver foil on top.

mike said...

Sounds delicious