Sunday, July 11, 2010

Pasta With Chickpeas, Rosemary, and Garlic


Yes, it is a lot of garlic. And rosemary. And red pepper flakes. But soooo darn addictive.

The first time I made this, I used my blender to puree the chickpeas. The second time, I just went at them with a potato masher. As might be expected, the sauce made with the blender was smoother -- but I kind of like the chunky mashed chickpea texture, too.

Ingredients
16 ounces campanelle or other small pasta, prepared per package instructions
5 cups drained cooked or canned chickpeas (rinse if using canned)
3 cups water, divided
1/4 cup olive oil
1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
8 cloves garlic, minced
2/3 ounce rosemary sprigs, washed, with the leaves removed and minced
1 teaspoon salt (I used 2 teaspoons with unsalted cooked chickpeas)

Place the chickpeas and 1 cup water in a blender and puree until smooth (or, alternatively, place the chickpeas and 1 cup water in a large bowl and mash until the chickpeas are smooth or you are tired).

Heat the olive oil and red pepper flakes in a large skillet over medium heat.

Add the garlic and minced rosemary and cook, stirring frequently, for about a minute, or until the garlic begins to brown.

Stir in the salt.

Carefully add the pureed/mashed chickpeas to the skillet, and stir to combine with the seasoned oil.

Add the remaining two cups of water to the skillet and stir until the chickpea mixture is smooth.

Allow the chickpea mixture to come to a boil, and simmer for about 5 minutes.

Stir in the cooked pasta and serve.

5 comments:

Vegan Epicurean said...

Sounds like a good combo to me! Who doesn't love garbanzos, garlic and rosemary? At least this Italian loves them, LOL.

Ali

Donna.Myers said...

This recipe sounds absolutely delicious along with being very nutricious>

Monet said...

My goodness...this is calling my name! I love all of these ingredients and I can only imagine how great they would taste in a bowl together. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Simple cooking-I love it!

Alicia Foodycat said...

This looks so nutritious, and very, very delicious!