Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Gyoza: Easy to Eat, Hard to Pronounce


With their green wrappers, puffy centers and half-moon shape, Taki's vegetarian gyoza dumplings resemble giant snow peas. The resemblance ends there, however. The gyoza wrapper is made of dough, not plant fiber, and instead of peas, a tasty mix of vegetables and tofu is tucked inside. Taki's serves the dumplings with rice (although yakisoba noodles can be substituted), vegetables, diced tofu, pickled ginger and a spicy soy-sauce for dipping.

I'm told that "gyoza" is pronounced "gyoh-zah;" however, it's been my experience that you can successfully order the dumplings even if you bungle the pronunciation.

Taki's
341 E. Colfax (corner of Colfax and Logan)
Denver, CO 80203

303-832-8440

3 comments:

Kitt said...

Does Taki's make theirs from scratch? You can buy good frozen ones at Asian groceries for a fraction of the cost. You can also make and freeze your own. They're labor-intensive, but worth it if there are certain fillings you prefer. (You can make your own wrappers, too, but I usually buy them premade.)

In Chinese they're called jiaozi and usually served boiled first, then fried the next day if there are leftovers.

I haven't ordered from Taki's for a long time. Thanks for the reminder!

Beatrice said...

I'm told that they get their dumplings from an Asian grocery store at the corner of Yale and Parker. I might buy some there, but on days that I don't want to cook, I'll probably wind up back at Taki's.

Kitt said...

Ah, that would be H-Mart. The stores over on Federal and Alameda have them, too. I think you can even get them at Costco.

But yes, nothing beats the convenience of someone else doing the cooking!