Sunday, August 31, 2008

Yum Yum's Cupcakes

After suffering through a number of store-bought cakes topped with partially-hydrogenated "frosting," I decided that any cakes that weren't (1) homemade or (2) vegan* probably weren't worth eating.

Then I had a Yum Yum's cupcake.

Light and spongy, these are exactly what a cupcake should be. And the frosting! Yum Yum's makes a butter cream frosting that is creamy and light, with just the right amount of sweetness. I am so fond of the frosting that I tend to eat it before the cupcake, rather than with the cupcake...

Yum Yum's Delights recently moved from a tiny shop in the Pavillions on the 16th Street Mall to a spacious new home in Uptown, with room for seating up front and an on-site kitchen in back.

Since the new location opened, I've tasted the following cupcakes:

Joanie Loves Chai Chai - a chai cupcake with vanilla butter cream frosting, dusted with cinnamon;

The Brown Cow: a chocolate cupcake with vanilla butter cream frosting, and chocolate chips on top;

and Strawberry Cloud (also pictured up top): a white cupcake topped with vanilla butter cream frosting, strawberries and red sprinkles.

Not all of the cupcakes have vanilla frosting; my favorite (which I haven't yet seen at the new location) is the mimosa cupcake, topped with orange butter cream frosting.

The selection of cupcakes available changes each day. A list of possible cupcake flavors can be found here. Cupcakes are $2.50 each ($2.7o with tax). Brownies, muffins and other baked goods are also available.

Yum Yum's Delights
450 E. 17th Ave # 106 (at the corner of Pennsylvania and 17th Ave, enter off Pennsylvania)
Denver CO 80203
303.623.0572

*Somehow, vegan desserts always make me feel virtuous - as though I'm eating greens instead of chocolate...

1 comment:

sheepish one said...

oh. my. goodness.
if i weren't in california, i'd be heading out for a brown cow right this second.
instead, i forwarded the address to my mom in colorado with a note that said: "we must go."
yummy! beautiful photos!