Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Cookie Dough: To Refrigerate or Not To Refrigerate?

Over the years, the cookie recipes I encountered seemed to fall into one of two categories: either they could be knocked out in a single session (like chocolate chip or oatmeal raisin cookies), or the recipe required that the dough be refrigerated for several hours before baking (like my Grandma's icebox cookies, or the Ghiradelli ultimate double chocolate cookies). I considered the single-session cookies to be less time consuming, and made them more often for that reason.

This summer, the New York Times Dining and Wine section published an article asserting that, in order to create a "mature," "sophisticated" chocolate chip cookie, the dough should be allowed to sit 36 hours before baking.

What? Really?

Joy the Baker tested the New York Times' assertion, and, in a hilarious write up of an imaginary phone conversation with the Times, concluded that "a cookie is a cookie at 12 hours, 24 hours and 36 hours." Even still, Joy noted that she lets her cookie dough sit for at least four hours before baking.

I'm not convinced that allowing cookie dough to sit and "mature" results in a better cookie. The main factor that seems to make a difference in my cookies is whether I allow the butter to come to room temperature before assembling the dough. (For some reason, room temperature butter results in a much better cookie texture.)

However, in the past few months, I've found that I rarely have time to both assemble dough and bake cookies in a single session. And so I have been refrigerating my dough for several hours before baking, not to create a "sophisticated" cookie, but because it's the only way that I'm going to get a homemade cookie these days. Ironically, the ice box and double chocolate cookies that I once labeled "time consuming" are now just as convenient to make as the other cookies.

Does refrigeration result in a better cookie? The answer for me is, only in the sense that a cookie made with refrigerated dough is better than no cookie at all.

6 comments:

I Can't Keep Up said...

Thanks for posting on this! This question has kept me up nights. And the "when does a cookie become a cookie" is hilarious! I concur on the butter at room temperature. I get better results that way too.

Anonymous said...

Hi Beatrice, thanks for visiting my site and for your nice comment! It's a work in progress, of course.

I completely agree; yes, sugar-cookie-type cookies do need to be refrigerated, mostly because the butter has to harden so the cookies won't melt all over the pan. But I feel the same way as you do, and as Joy the Baker does--refrigerate, schmidgerate, when it comes to chunky cookies (like chocolate chip).

Muffalettas are fantastic! This omnivore (but mostly plant-eater) completely recommends it to you, since you're "in search of a decent vegetarian meal." Perfect summer fare! And easy. And even pleases meat-eaters!

Beatrice said...

The muffaletta (which sounds like a muffin but looks like a sandwich - and a veg sandwich at that) can be found here.

B

Michelle said...

Mmmm cookies... they are my greatest weakness, nomatter how they are baked. I really should make my own, it's about the only packaged food I eat regularly. Thanks for the post!

Balanced Living Health said...

Hi, I just made a diabetic peanut butter cookie dough that contains no sugar except a couple table spoons of honey. It was recommended to chill but I cant wait to bake them. Its like having to wait for Christmas morning when I was a kid, I just couldnt sleep Christmas Eve in anticipation. This is how I feel about waiting to bake those darn cookies. So anyways, i just wanted to thank you for posting this.

Ben
P.S. in 20 min. Im going to start baking lol.

Unknown said...

Resting any dough allows the flour to completely absorb all the moisture that it can. As for the cookies, do a side-by-side comparison.
That being said, I often skip refrigeration in a pinch.
Thanks for the on-hand cookie dough idea. I'm going to start doing that.
Anna