Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Tasting: Rachel's "Calm" Plum Honey Lavender Yogurt

Invariably, when I'm at a natural foods grocery store, something I've never tried before catches my eye. Usually, it's a very expensive something, and so I pass it by and continue to work my way down my shopping list. During a recent visit to Whole Foods, Rachel's "Calm" Plum Honey Lavender yogurt caught my eye. And, because it was all of 99 cents, I decided to try one.

While I was intrigued by the idea of a lavender flavored yogurt, I was also a little worried that it was going to have an overwhelming floral taste. I kept thinking back to the C. Howard violet mints that a friend and I bought at a newsstand in Chicago. Floral mints were fun, but would floral yogurt be gross?

Upon trying the yogurt, it didn't taste floral at all. In fact, it seemed to be raspberry flavored. But, there are no raspberries to be found on the ingredient list (unless they are hidden among the "natural flavors"). After eating a bit more, I could taste the honey and perhaps a hint of lavender, although it wasn't very strong. I would not have guessed that the yogurt contained plums, but they are listed right there among the other ingredients. If asked to describe the yogurt's overall flavor, I would go with "like raspberry, except not."

Did I feel calmer, or more serene, after eating the yogurt?

Erm, no.

In addition to lavender, honey and plum, the yogurt contains the omega-3 fatty acid DHA (docosahexaenoic acid), which may benefit both the heart and the mind. Fish oil is a common source of DHA; however, the Rachel's website states that the company uses a vegetarian DHA, derived from algae. The DHA did not affect the yogurt's flavor.

In spite of the eye catching name, I would say that the "Calm" Plum Honey Lavender yogurt tastes more or less like any other yogurt. If I was to pick it over another yogurt in the future, it would probably be for the DHA. (Of course there are other sources of DHA available for vegans and vegetarians, including DHA supplements derived from algae.)

Rachel's is a U.K. company; apparently their U.S. operations are based in Broomfield, Colorado, and are associated with White Wave Foods.

3 comments:

I Can't Keep Up said...

I got to try this at a work project and liked the Vanilla Chai flavor. I thought it tasted great, but not necessarily better than any other yogurt.

Accidental Hippie said...

I thought it was tasty. It wasn't too overpowering but you could taste all ingredients. It was not overly sweet either. I'd get it again.

Unknown said...

I'm trying this right now for the first time and it's great! I think the taste is calming... and i love how complex it is on my tongue. i can taste each flavor. It tastes really flowery. I'll get it again. :)