Saturday, January 9, 2010

Grapefruit Ginger Smoothie

I'm please to report that I finally own a blender that doesn't leak. So pleased, in fact, that I've been making smoothies even though the temperature has been well below freezing, and the ground in Cheeseman Park hasn't been visible in weeks.

While winter might seem like a strange time for a frozen treat, smoothies made with winter fruits like grapefruit are really yummy. This smoothie combines grapefruit, ginger, vanilla yogurt, and a handful of strawberries.



Ingredients

sections and juice of 1 grapefruit (approx 1 and 1/4 cups)
1/2 teaspoon grated ginger
1/4 cup vanilla yogurt
4 strawberries (I used frozen)

Combine all of the ingredients in a blender, and purée until smooth.

Serve.

4 comments:

Vegan Epicurean said...

Beatrice,

It is absurdly cold here too and we had pear, date and ginger juice this morning.

Your smoothie sounds great! But I love anything with grapefruit in it. It is such a shame grapefruit is off limits to people on so many meds. Glad I am not one of them.

stay warm,
Alicia

Beatrice said...

Pear, date, and ginger sounds delicious!

That would be difficult if grapefruit were off limits... It's one of my favorite citrus fruits.

Dine With Donna said...

Hi Bea;
Our monring smoothie is o.j, banana, yogurt, and a berry medley. Smoothies are such a healthy way to jump start a day and leftovers keep for another day. Your combination sounds wonderful. My husband is one of those with restrictions to grapefruit due to medication.

Claire said...

Sounds delicious! I've never had ginger in a smoothie but i bet its great :)