Monday, January 4, 2010

Island Oatmeal

Oatmeal with coconut milk, ginger, cloves, cinnamon, and mango -- adapted from a recipe for arroz con dulce (Puerto Rican rice pudding). Yes, it's based on a dessert, but the oatmeal is more subtle than sweet. It's also super easy to make.

Ingredients
3.5 cups water
14 ounce can lite coconut milk
4 tablespoons unsweetened shredded coconut
3 cups quick oats*
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1 generous teaspoon grated fresh ginger
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup currants or raisins
1 mango, washed and cut (optional)

Place all the ingredients in a large saucepan, and cook over medium heat until boiling. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer five minutes, stirring occasionally.

Adjust seasonings and serve.

*If using a different type of oats, you might need to adjust the amount of liquid and the cooking time.

*****
Note: This post is linked to Healthy Green Kitchen’s breakfast recipe blog carnival for Haiti. -- B

12 comments:

Marina said...

Ok. I now need to add lite coconut milk to my grocery list. This sounds great!

Anonymous said...

What a great idea: oatmeal with coconut milk! Must try.

Vegan Epicurean said...

Wow, that sounds really good to me! What a perfect meal during this cold snap.

Thanks for sharing,
Alicia

chow vegan said...

Wow, that looks great! Your island oatmeal makes my oatmeal feel plain and boring. I'm going to have to give it a try. Thanks! :-)

Beatrice said...

I hope you all like this -- and I'd be curious to hear about any variations.

B

s said...

sounds real good....looks even better!

eatme_delicious said...

Ooo oatmeal made rice pudding style?? I'm definitely interested! Love that you used coconut milk mmm.

Alicia Foodycat said...

That looks good! I wonder how it would reheat? I'm looking for a hot breakfast that I can take to work!

Beatrice said...

Hi, Foodycat. I microwaved the leftovers for breakfast last week, and it did fine re-heating. I think you could probably also re-heat it on the stovetop, although you might need to add a little more liquid to the pot.

B

kiss my spatula said...

how brilliant - coconut milk in my oatmeal. i must give this a try!

Winnie said...

I adore coconut milk and this sounds great! Thanks for linking to my "blog carnival"!

CC11 said...

dude - this looks freakin' awesome!