Saturday, January 16, 2010

Shish Kabob Grill

I really should make my own tabbouleh. But, I've got no incentive, because I live just a few blocks from the Shish Kabob Grill. Packed with parsley (as well as tomatoes, onion, bulgur wheat, lemon juice, olive oil, and, I think, mint?), the Shish Kabob Grill's tabbouleh salad is refreshing, pleasantly crunchy, and a complete impediment to the development of my own tabbouleh recipe.

I also really like the hummus -- a creamy, smooth blend of chickpeas, sesame paste, lemon juice, garlic, salt and olive oil, which is served with two warm pitas (or sold in small tubs). Yes, I can (and do) make my own, but...

Sometimes I get the falafel sandwich -- a large pita filled with falafel, hummus, sesame paste, tomatoes, and lettuce. At about $6, it's an inexpensive but filling meal.

The restaurant also has a vegetarian platter (with hummus, baba ghanoush, falafel, grape leaves, and spinach pie) but I haven't tried it because I'm the rare vegetarian who doesn't like eggplant.

Shish Kabob Grill
1503 Grant (corner of Grant and Colfax)
Denver, CO 80203
303-837-8800

3 comments:

Alicia Foodycat said...

That felafel roll looks amazing! It's one of the few disappointments about living in London - the one good felafel roll place I found closed! They used to do one called the "car beet sale" which was carrot puree, grated beet salad, felafels and yoghurt dressing.

Healthy. Happy. Well. said...

Great to know for the next time I visit Denver! Thanks!

singerinkitchen said...

You sound like me! I have a place 5 minutes away! I crave their hummus and tabbouleh ALL the time.