Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Slow-Cooker Baked Beans

These baked beans are made with smoked paprika, not pork or bacon. It takes several hours of cooking from start to finish, but for most of that time, the beans are simmering away in a slow-cooker (aka Crockpot).

The recipe starts out by cooking the (pre-soaked) beans in a slow-cooker for three hours. The beans are then drained and added back to the slow-cooker -- along with smoked paprika, dried mustard, grated onion, molasses, brown sugar, ketchup, and water -- to cook for another 10 to 14 hours. I let mine simmer overnight on low heat. While I was sleeping, the beans transformed from pale to tangy brown.

Recipe here. I used cannellini instead of navy beans, and added salt to the cooked beans.

5 comments:

Joanne said...

I love it - mainly because the taste of home made baked beans is glorious. So much of a difference than canned.
You've given me an inspiration since I'd forgotten how easy it is to make them. The time isn't a factor when you consider that the majority of it you aren't doing anything to the recipe. Great!

Molly said...

was reading your cauliflower post (my fave way to cook it) when I remembered I was roasting green beans in the oven! Thanks for the reminder, you saved my beans...

Beatrice said...

@Joanne -- it is easy, isn't it?

@Molly -- glad to be of service.

B

Claire said...

they look great! slow cookers are the best :)

Alicia Foodycat said...

Gorgeous! What a fantastically hearty meal.